This is a revised version of a post I published on our sister Tumblr site: Roll. As I realize it’s usefulness, I decided to move it here.
A few days ago I bought Chuck Wendig’s “Confession of a Penmonkey” eBook. I’m loving it so far, funny and insightful stuff!
Chuck’s a blogger, novelist and long time RPG designer. He wrote a ton of World of Darkness books I’ve never read…No offense man, I spent the early 2000’s elsewhere, but my friends tell me that Hunter: The Vigil was teh awesomez.
In his second essay titled The Writer Starts his Day where he discusses the eating habits of the efficient writer (stay away from processed carbs kids and love them eggs) this one snippet struck home:
...if you’re one of those writers who has a hard time Getting His Shit Together, you might want to cast a wary eye at your diet.
I so totally am such a writer. Not so much that I’m not prolific, I’ve proven I can churn tons thousands of words in mere hours. It’s just that I don’t do so in a disciplined and consistant manner because I’m so damn easily distracted and flake out on any effort that is “good for me” at the drop of a rationalization hat.
I want to become better, more efficient so I can handle more freelance work and actually get in that zone where I can stop procastinating (I’m writing this on my lunch break).
Oh that and seeing my growing-again paunch on last weekend’s convention pics… I’m a very vain person and that lard of tub needs some harsh discipline.
Chatty’s Get it Together You Bum: The Rules
I play to score the most point in a day. I score points by reaching incremental goals I set for myself. I’m considering using the iPhone’s “Epic Win” app to track them.
I keep a weekly scoreboard of daily high scores.
- Write 1000 words = 4 points
- Doing it without interruption = 8 points
- Each additional 500 words = 4 points
- Sans interruption = 8 points
- Completing a significant work-related task = 2 points
- Sans interruption = 4 points
Health – Exercise
- Exercise 30 minutes = 4 points
- In one session = 8 points
- For each additional 30 minutes of exercise = 8 points
- Exercise with family for at least 30 minutes = 8 points
- Picking Bike over Car = 4 points each time
Health – Diet
Current “No” food: Candy, Fries, Beer
- Eat under my daily Calorie budget = 8 points
- Doing so without any “No Food” = 16 points
- Each fruits/veggies portion of a meal = 2 points
- Enter meal in My Fitness Pal = 2 points
Health – Family Life
- Each hour spent with family members= 4 points
- Each unbroken promise (to myself or family) = 4 points
- Perform housekeeping task = 8 points
That’s it. I’m starting this morning, by scoring 2 points for completing a significant, but interrupted task (darn IM and Twitter).
I’m open to suggestions.