Tonight I had planned to write an Adventure Prep post for this week’s game, but I don’t have a lot of time and will do it Tuesday evening. Instead I’m whipping up a short post on some Fluffy tools I use to better create a sense of immersion in our games.
One of the walls of my basement gaming room features 2 very useful props.
1) A large Vinyl map of Ptolus, the city where the campaign is based. It’s available from Fiery Dragon Productions. Whenever I plan an adventure I use it to place the action and I refer to it during gaming sessions. Getting up and pointing to specific parts when needed adds a nice dimension and engages the players who crane their necks to have a look. It’s quite large (31” X 47”), looks great on my wall and it features a reference grid (A to O on the horizontal and 1 to 10 on the vertical) that allows to find key streets, buildings and landmarks.
2) A whiteboard where I write campaign specific info grouped in 3 categories (these info are also copied in our Google Group). Here’s a rundown of the three:
Points of interests: Buildings and neighborhoods where characters have interacted with key NPCs and organizations.
Plot Hooks: Any or all NPCs or objects the players have interacted with that could be revisited (at their initiative or mine) in a future adventure. When players seem interested about something, I note it down and add it there.
Rumours and News: Rumours, hints and red herrings about the current and future games. Writing them are a blast because they act like a brainstorm for present and future adventure ideas.
As an example I thought I’d share what is written on the board this week (Although it’s technically readable if you click the image)
Points of Interests:
- Keepers of the Veil: A militant Undead-Fighting organization
- Pale Tower: A tower where most of the Celestials of Ptolus Live
- Khatru Manor: A Militaristic Noble House, Cixi is part of that House
- Iridithil’s House: The Elven Sanctuary of Ptolus, Homebase of Aravar and Lillie.
- Knights of the Pale: A militant Demon-Fighting organization Cruguer would like to join.
- House Dallimothan: A Dragon-friendly Noble House. Home of Plantagonox, my pet NPC.
Rumours and News:
- Unkillable Troll in the Sewers
- Killraven (crime Syndicate) dragon trains Ratmen Rogues
- New Drug Competes with Shivel (another drug) in Warrens.
- Fighting Seen on Spire (Foreshadowing of things to come)
- House Wars: Khatru vs Rau (Following this, the prisonner was a House Rau noble, a Pirate Noble House)
- Vladaam seen in Necropolis (The Vladaams are the über Evil Noble family)
- Troll in Sewer
- “Rescued” Rau Noble
- Lillie’s Spriggans
- Joining the Knights of the Pale
- Plantagonox’s missions.
- Cixi’s Homeworld
- Slavers under Ptolus?
- Objects of note
- Onyx Orb of the Trees
- The Ratskull gem
- The Demon’s horn in Amber
What kind of fluff tools do you use?